Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Transceiver Survey

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Transceiver Survey
From: "Gary D Krause" <n7hts@bresnan.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 09:35:50 -0600
I thought the survey was interesting.  At least they are asking us what we
think even if the info is somewhat limited.  To me it shows that Ten Tec may
have lost it's way in the amateur community and is now trying to get back on
track.  I'm guessing that Elecraft and Flex are putting a squeeze on them.  As
someone already mentioned, they are controlling the info by asking the
questions.

One question that I thought should be changed is how much money I am willing
to pay for a rig.  They went from $1000 to $3000.  I personally would have
picked $2000 but, it wasn't an option.  They also asked questions about
modular design and software which, to me, is another indication that the
competition is getting a little uncomfortable for them.  Competition is what
it is all about in our system, right?

I hate to say it but, when they asked what brand of rig I have sold in the
last five years, I had to say Ten Tec.  It was an Argonaut V.  It was a great
radio but, I didn't like the DSP.  I still own a Ten Tec rig but, it wasn't on
the list so, I listed it as other.  It is a Century 22 and I still use it.
 For me, I don't want to hook my rig up to my computer or have internet
control of it.  After all, how many of us work on computers all day long?  The
last thing I want to do is come home to a rig controlled by my computer.  Not
only that, I don't like the extra noise made by the cooling fans in my
computer competing with the audio from my radio, even with headphones.  But,
that's just me.

Another interesting question was how important looks are.  Well, I think
that's an important question even from a marketing point of view.  Looks
should also be linked with quality.  My Elecraft K2 has an aluminum face.  My
Kenwood TS-530SP has a zinc face plate.  My Century 22 has a plastic one and
has small hairline cracks around the four screws on the front.  The Argonaut V
that I owned had a plastic face plate and I thought the meter looked cheap.
 That doesn't affect the operation of the radio but, it matters to some
people.  Perhaps more than we think.

It seems they are also wondering about their 30 money back policy.  I think
that is a good idea but, for me it isn't that much of a draw.  I would rather
go my favorite ham radio store and actually see and touch it rather than look
at photos in ads and take a chance on whether I like it or not.  It is good
however, for those that don't have a store close by.

Anyway, these are just my opinions and we all have them.  I think it's great
that Ten Tec is doing something to find out what we want.  After all, as the
old saying goes, the customer is king.

Gary, N7HTS