Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Transceiver Survey

To: <gsm@mendelson.com>, "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>, <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Transceiver Survey
From: "RM" <ron.nu1u@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 05:19:16 -0400
Let's see, you're really saying, in addition to CW, there is also not need
for SSB below 20 meters in order to obtain a lower price rig, and because no
one can put antennas up for those bands.  Yep, that makes since; those folks
hamming would be very limited in the evening hours.  Why don't we just ban
all bands below 10 meters because antenna space is becoming restricted,
especially when they are banned in communities.

If you put SSB Bands in radios below 20 meters, how much more cost is added
putting CW in....think about which mode is really the expense driver (of
course leave out all that fancy CW filter stuff, which can be or already is,
optional filters??????????)

There are hams up here in New England who held back getting a license
because of CW.  However, some of those same hams are learning and doing CW
because of low cost the mode offers. Some of these folks are buying
affordable radio kits (super regens) in those lower bands and learning CW
because of (the need for) lower costs to get on the air and operate.  They
have learned that they do not need much power on CW to work the world.  Most
of these folks can only get on the air at night during the work week.

I have a better idea, get rid of voice modes below 20 meters.......We all
know that there isn't much real hamming on voice below 20 meters....

Over all, ham radio will die, because radios are getting sooooo expensive
(yep inflation is a factor, but unfortunately many folks salaries haven't
kept up).  Also, many hams are not allowed to put antennas up regardless of
their size.

Ron/NU1U  (I operate mostly SSB, with more CW than voice below 20)