Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Transceiver Survey

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Transceiver Survey
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 21:22:53 -1000
Writing a survey can be a complicated task. The questions need to be
carefully written to gather the information wanted, while keeping the
number of questions reasonable. With "check the most appropriate box"
answers the survey results can be easily tabulated and percentages
calculated. Essay or narrative responses to questions would require a
lot of labor to interpret and compile the results. Some subtleties are
no doubt lost using the multiple choice answers, and survey participants
may feel like what they want to express is not exactly fitting into the
limited available answers to questions. I had that feeling a few times
myself as I was answering the survey. That is just the way it goes. I
hope that Ten-Tec gets what they want from the survey.

In the questions regarding how important is 6 meters, 2 meters, 70 cm, I
was thinking about a home station transceiver, and I answered
accordingly. For a home station, I don't really want DC to daylight in
one box. I'd rather have separate radios. On the other hand, if it is a
portable, or mobile operation, particularly using a rental car, having
MF/HF/VHF/UHF all in one compact package is appealing to me. Ten-Tec has
not been a big player in the mobile rig arena, so I answered the
question with a prejudice towards a home station rig. The survey did not
allow for clarification of my response. There are probably dozens of
similar limitations that others noticed, because of the "check the most
appropriate box" format. That is just the way it goes. And after all
Ten-Tec wrote the survey for their purposes, not necessarily to help us
express our every desire. I hope the information they collect is useful,
and I'm glad to participate.

DE N6KB