Re: [TenTec] cheap CW rig

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] cheap CW rig
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 14:02:17 -0600
On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 15:13 -0400, Bill Ames wrote:
> I am afraid that to invest that much in a rig that is likely to be
> un-repairable, either because of the high cost or unavailability of parts,
> is a poor choice.  Even TenTec doesn't take in trade their older rigs. If
> they could fix them they would probably be able to sell them and not have
> any trouble finding willing buyers for these entry level rigs. Go figure...
>
> Bill
> KB1LG

I've owned two TS120 and a 130. The only repair needed for any of them
was to bolt down the RF board every few years. Parts are mostly
discrete, no custom ICs. The SWR protection allows driving with full
power while tuning the antenna tuner without PA damage or overcurrent.
I'm sure taking a lightning hit would make them difficult to repair, but
otherwise the three I've had have been solid radios. They do not have
the receiver intermod performance of the Corsair II.

73, Jerry, K0CQ