Re: [TenTec] cheap CW rig

To: RaySoifer@cs.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] cheap CW rig
From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm@mendelson.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 23:33:02 +0300
On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 04:01:45PM -0400, RaySoifer@cs.com wrote:
> Probably so, but a low-powered rig is not going to be effective on SSB
> without a good antenna, which many of these people will find difficult to
> manage.
> Here in Arizona we're fortunate to have quite a few new hams pass their
> tests,
> but then most of them quickly become frustrated because they live in CC&R
> subdivisions and a stealth dipole simply doesn't get out very well.  So, they
> stay
> on 2m FM or just give up.  I try to steer them to CW and digital modes, where
> their limited antennas can do better.

We happen to be at a good time in the sunspot cycle. The sun is at or very
close to the bottom of the current cycle and between now and 2011 propagation
on the higher bands will just get better. I've observed that 20m is open for
about an hour before and an hour after sunrise and sunset, with openings
to Europe from here.

IMHO on of the worst things that can happen is to buy an HF rig and
after using it for a few months find that the sunspots have faded taking
HF propagation with them and they won't be back for 7 or 8 years.

I assume that in the U.S. where there are a lot more hams, it would mean
that early mornings and late afternoons would be good for cross continental
communication and at other times for local. Unlike here, there is a
large enough ham population to keep it busy.

5 watts SSB for a true QRP rig, or 25 watts if you wanted to use the
same finals as in a 5 watt AM CB, would do. You won't set any records,
but communication would be possible and if you spent enough time to
learn some operating skills, and some patience you could work all
48 continental states and possibly get all 50.

That's why I said that 20m would be needed, but 40m and 75 would not.
Yes, you can load up a "stealth" antenna on 40m or 75/80 with a good
tuner, but how much of your signal just ends up as heat?

As for steering them toward CW, I think it is a noble effort and
should be applauded. Again as a marketing consideration, I want to
make them think they did not pay for it, since they will never use it.
Once they get on the air and find out that it would make their use
of the radio more enjoyable, then they could buy the CW add-on and
learn Morse code.

Of course some of them won't find it more enjoyable, and some won't
bother to find out, but at least we got them on the air.

In the final analysis, if it turns out that they can't get out
with a $200 rig, they are a lot less disapointed than with a $1,000
one.  Besides, it might just motivate them to run for president of
the home-owner's association on an "allow ham radio" ticket. :-)

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM