Re: [TenTec] K3 vs Orion One

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] K3 vs Orion One
From: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 11:29:19 -0700
On Tue, 13 May 2008 13:11:04 -0400, Dick Green WC1M wrote:

>Elecraft is performing at a very high level thus far.
>Unfortunately, by not addressing many outstanding firmware
issues,
>I feel TT has basically abandoned a large group of loyal users.

There is a HUGE difference between the two companies in user
support and online presence. The Elecraft list has hundreds of
posts each day, upper level Elecraft management (like the two
owners, one of whom is the chief engineer!) is always monitoring
it, and responds directly when needed. That list is separate from
the K3 beta list, which they also actively monitor and contribute
to.

By contrast, TenTec's presence on this list is limited to posting
a list of used/demo gear once or twice a month and VERY occasional
or negative comments about products.

In other words, Elecraft respects their customers by actively
participating in the email lists, listening to the traffic, and
learning of their customers' needs and desires, while Ten Tec
seems to consider this list so trivial as to be unworthy of their
time.

I find that quite sad. The late Al Kahn, K4FW, co-founder of Ten
Tec, and before that co-founder of Electro-Voice and strong
supporter of Heathkit and ARRL, has long been one of my heroes.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC