Re: [TenTec] K3 vs Orion One

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] K3 vs Orion One
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 13:11:04 -0400
I agree with Barry. I've got an Orion and a K3 in SO2R configuration here.
These are the two best rigs available today (with the possible exception of the
Flex/5000, which is still evolving and lacks physical controls.) The Orion and
K3 are certainly more affordable than competing high-end radios from overseas,
and an SDR offers the potential for significant new features without having to
buy new hardware (if only Ten-Tec would commit itself to the future of the
Orion.)

Yes, the K3 is new and is going through the same fine-tuning process we had
with the Orion. As a long-time Orion beta tester, and a new K3 field tester, I
find the experience to be night and day between the two companies in terms of
commitment, quality, speed and overall results. Elecraft is performing at a
very high level thus far. Unfortunately, by not addressing many outstanding
firmware issues, I feel TT has basically abandoned a large group of loyal
users. That's the primary reason I bought a K3. But despite TT's lamentable
performance, I haven't sold my Orion. Yet. It's still an excellent radio, and I
have hopes that someday TT will devote resources to it again. Hopefully, their
recent survey isn't an indication that they've decided to move on. If that's
the case, a second K3 is in my future.

Buying a K3 during this period is not for everyone. Though the radio works
extremely well, there are still a number of features that haven't been released
yet (such as the sub-receiver, which promises to dramatically outperform the
Orion's sub.) I'm willing to go through the firmware evolution process because
I want the performance offered by the radio today, and I'd like to have some
input into how the features work. Elecraft is particularly good about listening
to the suggestions of all its customers, not just the field testers.

I also agree that the size of the K3, and its much more limited display, will
put off some users. It doesn't bother me one bit, but the requirements of
contesters are very different from those of the general ham population. OTOH,
if portable HF is your thing, the K3 can't be beat. It's the ideal DXpedition
radio.

If a friend had $4K+ to spend on a new radio, I'd advise buying a K3. But for
someone with a tighter budget, Barry is right: a used Orion-I is the best
bargain in ham radio.

73, Dick WC1M