Re: [TenTec] 95% Shield

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 95% Shield
From: "Gary Hoffman" <ghoffman@spacetech.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 23:39:49 -0400
Hi Ron,

Not sure what your point is.  I guess maybe you just did not care for my
writing style.

No, I'm not young.  I wish I were.

Old fashioned in this context meant that as far as television viewing is
concerned, most people don't use outdoor VHF antennas any more.  Yes, I knew
they were yagis.

Yes, I knew what frequency C band is.  I reconverted my old C band dish by
the way, to be a radio telescope.  Fun stuff. I did not expect C band would
be bothered by HF, and it isn't.

My whole point is that MOST people are not bothered by HF, simply because
they have equipment that is NOT bothered by HF.

I know that DirecTV has used a similar  (no, not the same) dish since they
came out.  My point again was that this, while "new" technology to many
people, is not often bothered by HF.

My real point was that many hams operate HF.  A very large percentage of
them are able to operate without encountering serious TVI problems.  Hence,
the interferences that do occur, while reasonably numerous, are relatively
rare compared to the total number of operators.

The original posted seemed quite worried that he might never be able to
operate HF at all, because of the threat of TVI.  I was attempting to
communicate that it is very likely that won't be a problem for him, and if
it is, many fixes exist that work.

Sorry you don't like my writing.

73 de Gary, AA2IZ