Re: [TenTec] Low Pass Filter

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Low Pass Filter
From: "John K Gotwals" <john@gotwals.com>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 13:07:39 -0400
Also, keep in mind that direct radiation into a poorly shielded TV set can
create TVI. In my previous location I used an Orion driving a Drake L-4B,
and the antenna was a ground mounted Butternut vertical. All TV sets were
fed by buried cable lines. Neither my own set or the immediate neighbors had
any TVI, but one neighbor two or three houses away had TVI on the newer of
his two TV sets.

After consulting with someone at his place of employment, the neighbor
informed me that I should install a low-pass filter. I instructed the
neighbor to contact the Cable TV company, and they sent a trouble shooter to
his house. The Cable TV representative was a former ham, and in everyone's
presence I inserted a Bencher low-pass filter at the L-4B output. The filter
made no difference whatsoever. We then went to the neighbor's offending TV
set and removed all wires except the power cord and the antenna cable. We
wrapped the TV's power and antenna wires around ferrite cores, so that
common-mode ingression of my 40-meter SSB signal would be attenuated. This
made no difference either.

The neighbor was told that it appeared that his interference was a case of
direct radiation into an inadequately shielded TV set, and that nothing
could be done to clear up the problem. The fact that my own TV set, as well
as the sets belonging to neighbors who were next door to me, did not have a
TVI problem was a powerful argument that the problem must reside in his own
TV set. He gave the offending TV receiver away to a relative, purchased a
new set and enjoyed excellent TV reception on all his sets.

John, N9JG