Re: [TenTec] DX radios

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] DX radios
From: john ferro <foxbat426@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 12:50:31 -0400
larry you are right - absolutely - but my point from the start is that too much
credance is on the radio - not enough on the antenna - lets face it you can
fall in love with a radio - antennas are boring. most hams should pay more
attention to the antenna system - put the money in the antenna, and watch the
dx go UP!

, john> From: W1GOR@maine.rr.com> To: tentec@contesting.com> Date: Sat, 31 May
2008 12:12:20 -0400> Subject: [TenTec] DX radios> > Hi John, You've made my
point..! All of the guys in that tour are great, > in their own way... It's a
team effort, not a competition. Ham radio is a > wonderful example of team
efforts, especially in multi-multi contest > operations. Ham equipment
comparisons are directly comparable to the Ford > vs Chevy vs Mopar issues.
When we go to the clothing store, we chose a > garment for it's style, fit, and
finish, as well as price. We also go to > HRO, and other ham radio dealers with
the very same requirements... Some > like to look and feel of Icom, or Yeasu,
or TenTec, or Elecraft, or Kenwood, > and others are partial to the older
boatanchors, for their sheer elegance, > like Collins, Hallicrafters, National,
and the newer boatanchors like Drake. > When it come to antennas, there are as
many choices as there are stars in > the universe. There's the old Vertical vs
Horizontal preference, > single-band vs multi-band, and the preference of one
antenna manufacturer > over the others. Recently I've read an endless series of
posts about > grounding methods that approach religious zeal... Every poster
claims that > THEIR method is THE BEST...notwithstanding the national and local
building > codes...> > So, it ALL boils down to one, and only one issue...
CHOICE..! Whether it's > clothing styles (mine is Western Style), or
automobiles (mine is Honda), or > Ham Radio gear (I own Hammarlund, Johnson,
Gonset, TenTec, Icom, Butternut, > DX Engineering, ICE, Hustler, Larsen, and a
long list of test equipment > makers). It's said that "YOUR MILEAGE MAY
VARY"... but it should be "Your > mileage WILL vary"... There are millions of
hams, worldwide... and no two > ham shacks are exactly alike.> > vy 73, de
Larry - W1GOR> > The Titanic was built by professionals... Noah's Ark was built
by > amateurs... need I say more..? <big grin>> >