Re: [TenTec] Orion Noiseblanker - OFF:H is not really OFF

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Noiseblanker - OFF:H is not really OFF
From: "pfizenmayer" <pfizenmayer@qwest.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 19:30:00 -0700
Very well clarifies it - but in the original Orion with some early 1.3xxx
versions at least - even when it said the hardware blanker (off:H) to OFF
it still was on !!!!! Where I live in a bed of high power contesters and
DXers - it was always obvious !!!

My OII does not have that problem. (I mean being "ON" when it said it was
off- it still gets pickled when its on and a local fires up with 5 over 5
over 5 top one at 120 feet and who knows how much power points it at you. )

Incidentally , on the subject of noise blankers on the Orion . I stumbled
onto something one evening when I noticed some interference was really
knocked down by the NB (the DSP blanker) in the sub receiver but not in the
main receiver. A couple minutes of mulling that led me to go into the FILTER
menu and force the crystal roofing filter to 20 or 6 khz and this made the
DSP NB equally effective in the main. Its useful sometimes on certain tyoes
of noise when things are not too crowded.

73 de Hank K7HP

Leonard,

When the front panel reads "Off:H", it means that the DSP NB is "OFF" but
the Hardware
blanker is still active.  If you press and hold the NB button for several
seconds, both the OFF and
the H will change to "Off".  If you momentarily cycle the NB button, a
number will appear indicating the
level of DSP NB that is active (use MULTI Knob to set level).

Hope this clarifies the NB issue.