Re: [TenTec] Repair history for Orion

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Repair history for Orion
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 09:19:48 -0800
My O2, from the very first production run of December 2005 (I bought it in
January 06 after the original owner sent it back) has had only one trip back
to Dolly Parton Parkway and that was for the well-known power distribution
board problem.  The second time that happened, I fixed it myself.  I also
installed and tested a prototype of the plug-in board that fixed the
headphone RFI problem and is now standard on all new O2's.  I use my Orion
II every day, usually for 6-8 hours on weekdays, and 14-16 hours on
weekends.  I do SSB, CW and RTTY contests and DX as well as ESSB, all in a
very high RF environment.

Recently, a big contester moved in about 1.5 miles away and I have measured
his 160 m signal at about -13 dBm (an honest S9+60!) on my sloper, yet in
the recent 160 contest, I was able to work stations as close as 500 Hz away
from him while he was CQing.  At 3 kHz away, I didn't even know he was
there!

         Ron   N6IE
      www.N6IE.com