Re: [TenTec] 1208 Transverter

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 1208 Transverter
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 18:29:22 -0600
On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 15:35 -0800, David Cuttler wrote:
> I really want to thank everyone for all the suggestions
>
> Considering zapping the transverter is given, would it make sense to replace
> the two existing diodes with the 1N4007 right away? Is there any downside to
> this?
>
> It seems like a really simple fix.
>
> The reason I am using a Transverter rather than going with a newer rig, is I
> owned an ICOM 746PRO, and hated the menus. It’s gone. I alsomade3 visits to
> the HRO here in Oakland and listened to the Yaesu FT-450, and came away
> liking my Corsair II a lot better. So there you have it.

I think there is only upside. The 1N4007 is a better RF switch than the
1N4148, but not as good as a diode made to be a PIN diode. The 1N4007
has an intrinsic region to give it better high voltage performance and
that makes it work as a RF PIN diode.

Even with the menus, my FT-857 gets a great deal more use than my
Corsair II.

Gerald J.