Re: [TenTec] not quite OT: outboard DSPs

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] not quite OT: outboard DSPs
From: "Duane Calvin" <ac5aa1@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 20:38:51 -0600
Hi Mike,
        I've used both, and I liked the NIR-12 much better than the DSP,
although it works also.  The NIR uses two processors and two different
algorithms for digital signal processing. One of them (the NIR mode) will
cause a delay in signal, so if you do QSK CW, it will not work well with
that.  (In fact, it will not work well if you use the rig's sidetone while
you're keying!)  I don't recall what they call the two processing modes, but
if you google the NIR-12 it should turn up their old description sheet.
It's an excellent unit, and includes simultaneous variable passband
rejection as well as the other processing.

        73, Duane

Duane Calvin, AC5AA
Austin, Texas
www.ac5aa.com