[TenTec] Antenna question

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Antenna question
From: Phil Sussman <psussman@pactor.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 20:15:29 -0500
This may be a bit off-topic - If so please forgive me:

I'm working with a fellow who has problems loading an 80M loop antenna with
ladder line and a tuner. His antenna is about 380ft and I think that it's a bit
short. I borrowed my Nye-Viking and the best that I can achieve is 3 to 1 match
at 3800 KHz.

At that point the tuner is applying MINIMUM capacitance. That makes me think
that a longer antenna length is needed.

As an aside 40m loads no better 2.5 to 1, but 30m loads up OK.

If I take his balanced line and feed it as a long wire (one end unterminated)
the system loads up just fine on 40m and 80m, but it is obviously unbalanced.

Any quick hints appreciated -- I'm not the best with HF antennas.

PS. My 80m loop antenna is 420ft long and loads as balanced just fine.

de Phil - N8PS