Re: [TenTec] Centurion question

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centurion question
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 08:16:45 -0600
Phil, Art and all;

The Centurion I have was purchased new by me from Tentec in March of '96.
It has the original tubes, transformers, capacitors, diodes and such.  I
find it to be a very reliable amp and a work horse.  Consistently, it
delivers some total 1400 watts output as measured on 2 different watt
meters.  Now, although it is rated at 1300 watts output SSB, do remember
that the 1400 watts I measure does include about 100 watts of drive power
from the transceiver.  That power also appears as part of the output.

Transformer wise, I find it to be quite solid.  Yes, the voltage per the
manual shows 3100 to 2600 and is a "no load" to "full load" condition.  No
load condition will never exist except during stand-by as the tubes are at
full cut-off.  Full load condition will exist on TUNE only with carrier
which will net about 2600 volts at 0.8A of plate current for 2080 watts
input developing an output of 1300 watts {amp power less drive power} for
62.5% efficiency.

For SSB, the duty cycle being very short, the Keyed voltage should be about
2900 volts {tubes at idle current of 100 ma} and with voice the voltage
drops another 100 to 200 volts.  This is the result of the capacitance in
the power supply holding the voltage very solid.  On a 230 VAC source, my
amp is running 2900 this morning, KEYED {no signal} it drops about 100 volts
to 2800, and with voice I can see about another 100 volt drop.  This is a
regulation of 93.1%.  Very acceptable in my opinion and experience.

I would say that replacement of the transformer is totally un-necessary
unless one has failed.  As to going to higher voltage, the 3-500Z is rated
at 4000 volts maximum and 3000 volts typical.  Based on my measurement,
observation and results, higher voltage is not necessary.  In conclusion,
this is not a "legal limit" amp but with my results the station is capable
of 1400 watts as opposed to the 1500 watts legal limit.

Regarding duty cycle, I frequently run AM at 250 watts of carrier output
with no problems.  I also run full QSK CW at 750 watts output and experience
excellent results.  For a desk top amp, the Centurion is a very good buy.
The input and drive impedance nets a 1.5 : 1 SWR on all bands and
frequencies except 160M where it will be 2.0 :1 at the band extremes. Most
transceivers tolerate these value very successfully and thus provide
adequate drive to the amp.

I'd say the biggest fault that might exist with the Centurion is largely
improper operation.  Having repaired a few of these for other folks, these
faults are likely the result of poor antenna load conditions, either wrong
antenna for frequency, or antenna with suddenly high SWR either from a
shorted line or open circuit.  Changing the band switch while tuning is
always one that produces a failure mode, hot switching between RX/TX due to
improper transceiver interface means, and of course lightning strikes where
little if anything survives.

All in all, the Centurion is a well designed amp and a day-in and day-out
work horse.

73
Bob, K4TAX