Re: [TenTec] Antenna question

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Antenna question
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 22:05:32 -0600
I would change the length of the feed line by 20 or so feet.  Either add or
take away.  I do hope the feed line is reasonably straight an if there is
any excess is not in a "coil" somewhere.

Also, are you using a 4:1 balun or a 1:1 balun?  And are these voltage
baluns or current baluns?  I find that 1:1 current baluns work better in
most cases unless one is feeding something like a folded dipole where the
impedance is close to 200 to 300 ohms.  In this case a 4:1 works better.

Based on what you describe, I suspect that you are using a 4:1 balun.  That
device doing it's job and presuming the load Z at the feed line at the
transmitter end is say 25 ohms then the 4:1 balun is making that look like
6.25 ohms.  Most tuners have a  problem with this.  Therefore a 1:1 balun
would present a 25 ohm load to the tuner.  Much better.

73
Bob, K4TAX