Re: [TenTec] Centurion question

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centurion question
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 17:52:39 -0600
Some companies are reportedly running 3500 to 3800 volts on their 3-500Z
amps.  I'll stand by the tube manufacturers ratings of 4000 volts as being
absolute max with 3000 volts being typical.  Plate current per tube should
not exceed 400 ma.  Based on these values, I believe that Tentec has
designed the Centurion amplifier correctly and with a margin of safety and
longevity while others may have pushed things to the edge.  The result is
likely shortened tube life, stressed components and the requirement for more
expensive components to withstand the higher voltage.

The real secret to keeping a 3-500Z amp alive is to carefully monitor and
control grid current.  Proper tuning and loading is the key to success in
this area.  There is no doubt or question, a pair of 3-500Z tubes can be run
to legal limit safely.  Power supply components,  high volume cooling and
high efficiency tank components are key areas to making the tubes work at
this level.

73
Bob, K4TAX