Re: [TenTec] G5RV

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] G5RV
From: Stuart Rohre <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 15:32:42 -0600
A good discussion of the orginal G5RV design, and its modern improvement
by EZNEC modeling, by ZS6BKW, Brian Austin, is contained in the
following link from G-QRP club's SPRAT magazine:
http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=19470

Brian makes clear the antenna while optimized originally for 20m, can
serve multi bands given that rigs can tolerate a 2:1 SWR or that you use
a tuner.    The original G5RV antenna was 102 feet long, and the
subsequent ZS6BKW started with that and analyzed which lengths would
work on most of the original bands and on the WARC bands within the SWR
limit accepted for analysis.

My ZS6BKW variant, for the first time uses a flat top dipole, and brings
the ladder line matching section off horizontally at exactly a right
angle.  It was a hot antenna for 20m, 40m, and worked on the other bands
as advertised, but was lack luster on 15m, where it had 3:1 SWR.  Mine
was only 20 feet high at one end, and 15 feet at the South end of the
flat top.  The horizontal matching section undoubtedly favorably
distorted the pattern, such that I was able to round table with VK/ZL
land simultaneously while working South America and North America with
strong signals both ways.  Of course, the impedance relationships would
change with varying height.  And it should work better higher than I was
able to manage.  But, for a home made antenna, it was very satisfying.
Because I added the horizontal orientation of the matching section, I
named this antenna a ZS6BKW/ K5KVH.