Re: [TenTec] Ig drift on amps

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ig drift on amps
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@doctorgary.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 20:04:02 -0500
Stuart,

Yes I did. They suggested there could be many things including a
bandswitch issue. They said the only way for them to be sure would be
to send it to them for a check. They said I would need to send the PS
too but that I could remove the transformer. Probably an honest
answer but before incurring that expense, I'd like to see if the
public opinion might have hit the nail on the head.

>From what I've been able to understand from the replies on & off
list, the answer seems most likely to be in the padding caps.

I took the cover off after getting back in to see what's reality and
a couple of leads to the doorknobs were quite black and almost looked
burnt while the lead to the ceramic cap for 160 had leads that were
shiny. The 15KV 400pf doorknob might be fine but there was an area
that was clean & shiny inside (the area closest to the 160 coil) but
the other areas in the HEC were solid black. Perhaps one or more of
the caps have failed.

I'm looking for replacement caps & will post that momentarily.

Thanks,

Gary - KA1J