Re: [TenTec] 041 firmware rev

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 041 firmware rev
From: Douglas Shock <douglas.shock@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 21:36:22 -0700
ewww my blackberry storm has a mind of its own.

Well it seems that riding the RF gain while using the af agc has a different
set of rules than it does using RF agc. You can't back off as much as you
can in rf agc or you loose a good chunk of af that even AF gain can't
compensate for. A lot like operating the newer Asian radios. So In AF dsp I
have to increase RF gain significantly compared to RF agc.

The NR in AF agc is a bunch more aggressive I find with eliminating back
ground noise than in rf agcjust at the expense of af gian. In the rf agc
mode NR takes the edge off the noise without being overly aggressive. Great
news is that the distortion from previous releases when using nr is greatly
reduced making it usable.

Not sure what the strategy or best use case between AF and RF agc is as I
see pros on both settings.

Still love the band scope changes...much more usable for hunting signals.
Not much for looking at somebodys signal for audio analysis but that was
never my gig.

Not sure how the new code impacts my previous settings for AGC but hopefully
somebody will throw the new software on the bench and provide a detailed
analys for agc settings.

All-inall...nice release so far.