Re: [TenTec] NEW Orion II/2.041XL Bug? Red Scan With Vertical Line Patte

To: "'Ron Castro'" <ronc@sonic.net>, "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] NEW Orion II/2.041XL Bug? Red Scan With Vertical Line Patterns
From: "Bruce McLaughlin" <bmclaugh@bex.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 15:04:21 -0400
I get that one trace long red sweep on my Orion as well.  It does not seem
to perform any useful function and I'm not sure why it is there.  Ordinarily
it last for only a brief period and then the normal like trace with the red
peak traces returns.

However, the other day I inadvertently left on a switching power supply
which sits above the Orion's power supply and is normally used to power my
(excuse the expression) K-3.  It is usually never left on but on that
particular occasion I forgot and did not turn it off.  The display on the
Orion went sort of nuts.  The Scope's background was red with regular,
vertical, black lines.  The sweep was entirely red.  It remained like that
until I switched off the other power supply and then everything returned to
normal.  I think the second power supply was generating RF hash which, I
presume, got into the 12 volt line for the Orion.  I am sure this effect is
confined to my particular system and I am not suggesting any wider
application but I did think it was rather peculiar.  The sweep system seems
rather sensitive to a number of outside influences.

Bruce-W8FU