Re: [TenTec] New Orion 1 - 2.063Xg

To: "John T. Fleming" <john@w3gqj.net>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Orion 1 - 2.063Xg
From: wa3fiy@radioadv.com
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 20:27:24 -0400
Hi John and group.  I imagine John that you are aware of the little marker
that rides along the top of the sweep screen as you tune.  Since the sweep
stops during tuning, I can see how that would work pretty well to find a signal
or a quite spot but you have to be tuning to get there.  May not work so well
on traffic handling when you want to send someone up or down so many
Khz.   Hmmmm..............?

Ten Tec did not fix my complaints which involve audio levels which are all
goofy compared to 1.373.   I have to have sidetone on 5 to balance with the
incoming audio.  Out of a range of 1 to 100, that yields very coarse setting.
Then, the spot level is way too high.  Turn down the spot level (using
sidetone control) and of course the sidetone is too low to be useful.   What a
bummer.   I would think TT could handle that little detail easily.   I also
have
pretty low output level on the aux audio output.  Hardly enough to drive my
sound card.

Well, I'll give it some time but it looks like I'll be going back to 1.373b5.
That
one is still the best I've found for my purposes.   At least I have some
options..........that's nice.    :-)

73,

-Lee-

WA3FIY