Re: [TenTec] How to sell an Omni VII

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] How to sell an Omni VII
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 14:01:08 -1000
> I've learned to translate "As Is" to mean :
> It doesn't work, it never has worked and it never will work.

There is also the description "worked great last time I used it", which
can mean "I haven't used it
 since it stopped working."

Some people will give an accurate description of a rig, explaining that
it does work, but to protect themselves from dishonest buyers will sell
it "as is."

Perhaps once upon a time hams could more universally be trusted than
today. That could have something to do with the ease of getting a
license, but I don't want to start that discussion.  Unfortunately there
are unscrupulous hams out there.

Recently the widow of a OT ham here sold one of his rigs to another ham,
who sent it off for some kind of service. He is now claiming that the
person servicing it says the rig was "gutted" (or some such verbiage)
before he bought it, and the buyer is insisting that the widow refund
his money. No mention of even returning the radio was made. Other folks
around here who knew the SK and know his widow (who is also licensed)
seriously doubt he would have had a "gutted" radio set up on an
operating table and connected to an antenna switch. So, is the buyer
trying to cheat the widow? It looks that way.

It is sad, but true, that hams cannot apparently be trusted like in the
old days. I am not going to tear up my license because of it, but I am
more cautious.

DE N6KB