Re: [TenTec] High speed washer hum/whine

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] High speed washer hum/whine
From: Phil Sussman <psussman@pactor.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 17:55:44 -0500
It is most interesting this post has received the multitude of responses that it
has without some feedback.

Since the washer is a newer type and it has been plugged in (we assume)
properly, the idea of grounding issues only serves to discuss the possible means
of coupling the generated source (from the Dryer) into the radio. The known fact
this does NOT affect an older Drake unit serves to reinforce the
belief that the source is more from the electronics - dc (if DC) motor brushes
or other source. My thought is we're dealing with harmonics of a conversion
inverter.

This can be easily verified by an oscilloscope and filtered accordingly at the
source.

Having seen such issues before, may I suggest contact with the customer service
department of the company that supplied the washer. Believe it or not, they may
be having a violation of FCC Part 15 regarding their electronics. If so, and the
washer is new -- a warranty solution, eh?

Forgive the excessive bandwidth.

73 de Phil - N8PS