Re: [TenTec] OMNI VII vs. K3 ? Opinions invited.

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI VII vs. K3 ? Opinions invited.
From: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 12:02:53 -0700
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:32:37 -0400, Paul Christensen wrote:

>The problem is with the way the speaker mounts
>to the cabinet.  A simple baffle would eliminate the short-circuiting of the
>back-wave.  That is THE reason why the stock K3 speaker sounds so "thin."

Agreed. In the pro audio world, we think of one or more cone drivers and
their enclosure as a loudspeaker system, and that's how I view the speaker in
the K3.

>My favorite speaker with any Com radio is either the Realistic Minimus 7 or
>11 -- the only R/S products I own.  I've owned the Omni VII and K3 at the
>same time.  When using the Minimus 7, the audio quality between both rigs
>sounded identical to me.

Yes. I've not owned or measured any of the Minimus products, but they have
been widely used as testing speakers by sound contractors for years. I use a
pair of 5-inch TOA that have very flat response, good voltage sensitivity,
and very uniform coverage. I bought them nearly 20 years ago to use as signal
sources when measuring the acoustics of a space where I was hired to design a
sound system. Now that I'm quasi-retired, they've found a new home in my
shack. I didn't mention them, because they've been out of production for
nearly 15 years.

73,

Jim K9YC