Re: [TenTec] Buying on EBay

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Buying on EBay
From: "Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 19:30:30 -0500
Rip,

One or two guys mentioned it but it didn't seem to come across strong
enough.
The most important thing on ebay is to evaluate the seller's track record.
If he's sold hundreds or thousands of sales and has a 98% rating, it is a
pretty safe bet.  Much safer than buying a rig from someone you don't know
at a ham swap fest.
Sellers work hard at maintaining that high rating.
Things can go wrong.
Ebay sellers with high ratings are more likely to give compensation to an
unsatisfied buyer sellers elsewhere because their reputation is visible and
at stake.
Have people send pictures.  If it's a matchbox, have them make pictures from
the inside to see if it's burnt, etc.
If they won't do it, don't buy it.

Like several others have pointed out, PayPal is a pretty good deal.
You hear the odd horror story from time to time, but you can hear worse
about any bank if you dig deep enough.
I have had PayPal since its conception and have an account on both sides of
the pond.
I know of no other way to better manage affairs internationally than using
PayPal.
Seems I always have my money on the wrong side of the pond when I need it.
With my ham radio antenna business, about 40% of my orders are processed
using PayPal.
Can't imagine life without it.
When I take a check at a hamfest from someone I don't know, especially from
out of state, that's when I sweat!

73
Rick