Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Rig Comparisons

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Rig Comparisons
From: Stuart Rohre <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 14:54:37 -0400
Richards makes good points about how it feels to be a newer operator.
We were all new once. And then later, we probably had some operating
event that we were new at again, and again had to adapt.  First Field Day,
first time as a DX station, etc.

Good experienced operators take the clue of how the contact op sounds to
them.  If they are hesitant or send CW slowly or speak slowly, the
experienced op slows down his end also.  I well remember a 4X4 I worked
in a pile up.   He was very efficient at making a contact, then he would
say QRZ? and go on to the next station.  A station called him very
slowly and with hesitation.  He slowed down his pace, and went back to
the slow station.  The overs were so slow, that in the break between
them, others called in, and the 4X4 never missing a beat worked both
stations, the fast one and the slower one.  It was so seamless, you had
to admire it.
I am not sue the slower station even knew it had happened.  But, I adapt
my calling pattern to the length the DX station is using, or answering.
Even adapt as to use or not use phonetics, how long a call to make, and
of course call where he directs or was last listening.  Some of these
operating points cannot be enhanced by any audio feature of a rig, or
signal processing, as they are all about timing of the calls, pace of
the exchange, and the language skills of each operator.

Another time I broke a pile up of callers by knowing the native language
of the DX station.  Monitor QSOs before you attempt one, helps a lot in
knowing how to make a contact.
-Stuart Rohre
K5KVH