Re: [TenTec] wither CW?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] wither CW?
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 18:39:20 -0400
Some clubs are very supportive, positive, and embracing.   So, it really
depends on the nature of the club in your bailiwick.

In my area, the two largest clubs are populated with a number of old
dinosaurs who most often speak negatively on just about everything,
especially putting criticizing new operators as mere  "appliance
operators" or "no code @#$@#@s"  and  talking about how the only good
rigs are tube rigs . . . etc.     These guys do a huge disservice to the
hobby, in general, and deter many potential members from getting into
ham radio, in particular.   You know these guys... there are several of
them on the public forums on QRZ.com.  and they constantly spoil the
thread by hijacking it and working these old, tired and worn-out
perspectives.

Instead, I have found a lot of support on this group, and others
concerning ham radio, it especially one called
"hamradiohelpgroup@yahoogroups.com"  where none of that negativism or
personal invective is tolerated and ham radio flourishes among friends.
It's a remarkable thing.

So, I guess it really depends on the nature of the club in your town and
whether it is supportive or detrimental at this point.    Jim B,  Bob,
Art, and so many others have treated this group alike they would a club
meeting by sharing what they know, and straightening me out when I'm on
the wrong track.  I generally travel 40 miles to get to a club that is
vibrant, fun, and supportive in this same manner.    Otherwise, the only
local group to attend, is the Friday Lunch Bunch - a loose group of
local hams who meet for lunch every Friday noon and are great
ambassadors for the hobby.   None of them are in the local clubs.

You are lucky to have such a good, large group to work with.

Happy trails.

.