Re: [TenTec] The Eagle

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The Eagle
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 01:47:33 -0400
  Rich -- I appreciate your position.   Nevertheless, I think I
represent a different market segment.

Seems like everyone would create the new radio in  1) their own image,
and   2)   make it as simple and traditional as possible, like their
old  XXX or YYY rigs.    I have no problem with that,  because we are
all consumers, and each of us has his own agenda.

But, even though I, too, am a relatively new ham,  I want brand new,
highly complex, and exciting gear with all the features,  for reasonable
money.   I DO  NOT want simple, old fashioned, or used gear - even at a
low price.  And even though I CAN certainly live without a panadapter or
live band scope,  I STILL WANT ONE.

Not all new hams want simple, cheap, used radios.    The Omni VII is my
first transceiver, and I love using it,  but I sometimes wonder whether
I should have opted for the Orion II, or some other rig, instead.   I do
not want a cheap "bargain" rig my friends say I should buy at the next
local swap meet or hamfest,   and then cry because it does not work
right.    Duh... why was the guy selling it...?   If it was such a great
rig, he would keep it, right?    Maybe (not always) he is selling it
because it is ... well... busted.   But I don't want old radios from the
1960s - I want exciting, new, and high tech gear.

I played SWL and I waited 35 years to enter ham radio when I had both
time and money to do it up right.   I did other stuff in the mean time,
and don't worry, I had a good time doing all of that.    But, I am tired
of everyone trying to dummy down, cheap sell, and simplify ham radio.
I worked damn hard to be able to retire young and afford good gear.  I
don't have a pension (I worked alone and made it all on my own)  and now
I want the GOOD STUFF - new, high tech, high quality;  the latest and
greatest.  I want it all.    (How am I doing... got a pretty good rant
going, eh?)    ;-)

And...  Not all of us feel adapt or safe modifying a brand new radio - I
spent nearly 30 years in a career that did not involve radio
technology...  so I would prefer TenTec install the IF output jack and
then third parties or guys like Carl N4PY can take it from there.     I
am now building every receiver kit TenTek makes, and I am learning to
fix my radios, and do home brew projects - but there is no crime in
being new at it.

I think adding an If output jack could easily be just the sort of
feature that can set the rig apart from its competition.   You can bet
TT will lose sales if Kenwood has one on its new rig.    Look how much
grief the Omni VII guys get because the K-3 has one.     If the other
guys have it, and TT does not, it will cost TT sales -- not all sales,
but enough to significantly affect the bottom line.

So.... while some guys want simple,  traditional, and familiar gear ...
I want new, complex, and high tech toys.

Different strokes for each of us.   After all, we are just blowing off
steam on what we each would like to see, right?  It's only talk, after
all.   ;-)

Happy trails -- I am glad to hear your side, and thanks for listening to
mine.