Re: [TenTec] Antenna follow up- asked for help in January- need more hel

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Antenna follow up- asked for help in January- need more help.....
From: "Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 17:32:59 -0500
I haven't seen Tom's writing on this, Steve.  I will read it. Thanks.
You can't argue with his point.
If the tuner is arcing across the C's, then the SWR is probably jumping all
over the place too.

The 974 is robust enough that it usually does not arc when running 100w.
If it does, I immediately add 1/8 wavelength feedline to the feedline for
the band that is arcing.
It always cures the problem.

At 100w level, I have found that the MFJ tuner can match a much broader
range than the Johnson Viking (275w) Matchbox.  The Johnson starts arcing,
yet the MFJ matches the antenna and does not arc.
At Field Day, our club used to use the Viking for years.
It has been replaced by the 974 because we don't have to do so much feedline
pruning with it as with the Viking.
It also has the cross needle SWR bridge and watt meter built in, making it
convenient.
I don't know how the efficiency compares at the wild impedance areas, but it
was certainly more convenient and we did not notice any poorer performance
than in previous years.

73
Rick