Re: [TenTec] new radio

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] new radio
From: Al Gulseth <wb5jnc@centurytel.net>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 15:14:31 -0500
Stuart,

I think the "does not come off as intuitive" runs in their gene pool. Back
when the DX-70 series was fairly new, a small local club I belonged to
convinced me to be their "token" FD CW op. (I say "token" because while I can
carry on fairly well ragchewing, 35WPM contesting is definitely a stretch for
me.) I arrived at the FD site and was sent to the 20M station, which was
using the aforementioned radio. I tuned down to the CW portion of the band
and started trying to figure out how to turn on the CW filter. Eventually, I
found it, but promptly discovered it was AF only and had a bandwidth only a
few Hertz narrower than a barn door. At that point I handed the position back
to the fone op and told them I'd be back later. I went home and picked up a
battle-scarred Argosy II that I had at the time and returned to the FD site.
The Argosy II performed flawlessly (can't say that of the op HI HI!!) and
even qualified the club operation for the "natural power" points.

After that experience I generally don't even bother to read the reviews
of "brand A" equipment....

TNX/73, Al