[TenTec] paralleling power supplies to get 13.8V/80A for Herc II

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] paralleling power supplies to get 13.8V/80A for Herc II
From: Allan Taylor <k7gt.cw@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 07:17:23 -0700
A few weeks back I posted a query as to how one might parallel two
Astron RS50M power supplies to power a
Hercules II. After mulling the replies received, I decided it best to
ask Astron about it. They replied with a sketch and
corresponding directions. I will forward that .gif file for those
interested. The directions summarize as follows:

1. The power supplies must be identical models
2. Carefully set the voltages to be identical. R5 is used
3. Parallel the + terminals and the - terminals.
4. The runs to the Herc II as follows: + from + terminal of p.s. A
                                                      - from -
terminal of p.s. B
There was a further note about running a 26 gauge wire if the units
had a 2nd + terminal (mine don't).

The use of one supply for + and the other for - apparently compensates
for voltage drop so that both supplies
provide essentially equal currents to the (rather large) load.

--
73     Allan    K7GT