Re: [TenTec] Re. [Ten Tec] Grounds and balanced fed verticals

To: k9yc@arrl.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>, Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re. [Ten Tec] Grounds and balanced fed verticals
From: Phil Sussman <psussman@pactor.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 13:36:00 -0500
Once upon a time I was challenged that my homemade ladder line
was somehow radiating so much that it made a neighbor's garage door, two
houses away, go up and down by itself. A local 'telephone man' lived nearby
and claimed my feed line was to blame. (After all this was an electronics
guy and he knew all about electronics.)

This led to some testing where it was demonstated that when matched very
little (if any) radiation could be detected in the vicinity of the feed
line. I had expected a little bit, but there was none. The resident 'expert'
said a simple FSM was insufficient and dragged over some lab equipment.
After a bunch of testing, the readings were so low as to be inconsequential.
Yet, I still got the 'blame' because after all I had to be 'hiding' or 'doing'
something.

Luckily, for me, this was even happening when I was not even at home, but
nevertheless -- the ham gets the blame. It was finally discovered that one
of the family pets was 'nosing' the actuator button which was located next
to a shelving unit in their garage. Of course, no apology.

73 de Phil - N8PS

-----