Re: [TenTec] Re. [Ten Tec] Grounds and balanced fed verticals

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re. [Ten Tec] Grounds and balanced fed verticals
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 16:44:56 +0000
Joel,

I'm giving some thought to how I would replicate your experiment to
satisfy my own curiosity, and I have a couple of questions about the
technique you used.

 From your article I gather that when you changed the line conditions -
made it wet, dropped it onto the ground etc - the characteristic
impedance changed, and that you compensated by adjusting the tuner to
ensure that the line remained matched; however as far as I can see there
was no corresponding change in matching at the signal generator end.
That would mean the generator was "seeing" a different impedance for the
differing line conditions; consequently there would be a changing source
mismatch-loss and the generator would deliver different powers to the
line under the different line conditions.

I'm wondering:
1) When adjusting the tuner, how did you know when the line was matched?
2) How did you take account of the changing generator mis-match loss
when calculating the line loss?

Please don't think I'm trying to "challenge" your technique, I'm
genuinely trying to unravel some of the issues!

Thanks,
Steve G3TXQ