[TenTec] OT Use of external keyer with Omni

To: "TenTec@contesting.com" <TenTec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OT Use of external keyer with Omni
From: Roger Rippy <svtincup@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 06:07:30 -0700 (PDT)
Earlier this month I posted a question regarding use of an external keyer with
the Omni VI and I
appreciate the advice given by KO7I and W4GFA. I am having fun with the CQ WPX
this weekend
and thought I might rephrase the question after doing a search on this groups
archive. I have never
particulary liked the internal keyer on my Omni VI so I have been using a Pico
keyer with my KR8
P-4 paddles. The Pico is quite small and although it works well for sending
straight code, the memory
operation etc is cubersome to me. Since I like to give a fair amount of thought
before spending
money on more gear, my question is specific to the use of a keyer. Does anyone
use external keyers
with their Omni rigs (either VI or VII) and if so do you use an Idiom Press,
Begali, AEA, or what? Is
the internal keyer on the Omni VII any different than the Omni VI (hope to buy
a VII later this summer)?
Do you use a keyboard in lieu of a key? I want to make a change with my keyer
and certainly welcome
your thoughts and experiences. Well, back to the contest. 73s Roger Rippy  W7RIP

Roger & Marie Rippy
Bozeman, Montana