Re: [TenTec] OT: Field Day Drill

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Field Day Drill
From: Jim Lowman <jmlowman@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 20:20:58 -0700
On 7/11/2012 4:09 PM, Richards wrote:
> This may be an example of the proverbial  "walks like a duck, quacks
> like a duck... must be a duck" syndrome.   If we set it up to walk and
> quack like a contest, we should not be surprised so many treat it like a
> contest.
If it didn't function in part as a contest, I predict that participation
would decrease
greatly.  I don't turn out for SET, so I probably wouldn't if FD were
less of a contest.
It's one of my favorite times of the year.  To change FD drastically
would upset a
number of people.
> The ARRL could modify its points scheme, accordingly.  Point schemes are
> often used to measure club performance, and the extent of involvement in
> desired activities.  They often use point schemes to measure local
> chapter performance on key criteria, such as new member recruitment, old
> member retention, promotion and public relations (such as awarding
> points for obtaining city proclamations or placing informative printed
> matter in public places,  and measure chapter performance on good
> business practices, such as having regular board meetings, having
> regular member meetings, having regular planning sessions,  having
> regular fund raising events, using recognized good organizational tools
> like Roberts Rules of Order,  publishing a regular newsletter, and the
> like.   The ARRL could revamp the point system to identify, list, and
> measure good Field Practices - rather than count the number of
> meaningless contest-like contacts are made.
Our FD group meets only twice a year:  a few weeks before FD to plan the
logistics
and to have a picnic, then the FD weekend itself.  We don't have a
traditional club
format.  There are no officers, thus no board meetings.
Likewise, no business meeting or dues.  This is fairly typical of a QRP
group.

73 de Jim - AD6CW