Re: [TenTec] OT: Looking for good starter HF transceiver

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Looking for good starter HF transceiver
From: d.e.warnick@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 13:17:14 +0000 (UTC)

Rick,

As you are well aware, with a budget of $500, your friend should only spend
about $300 to $350 on the rig. That leaves some cash for the antenna (a $10,000
budget would be nice for that & I know you've set him up with materials) and
the inevitable accessories like key, keyer, mic, ant tuner that will come
along. My first TenTec was an Omni D & it sold me on the brand. Blew my Kenwood
930 away. They are available working with power supply for $300 to $350. I
really would use a TenTec power supply for the protection it provides. Also
gives a usable speaker that's not aimed at the desk top. That allows for an
external VFO later if desired. Quite a rig for the price. It should have
optional filters & work 100% for that money. I still have 2 of them (no, not
for sale, yet) that I need to put on the bench & get working.

You are quite the Elmer

73

Dave

WA3F