[TenTec] OT Re: Older rigs

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] OT Re: Older rigs
From: Mike Gorniak <radionorthstar@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 11:43:29 -0500
Yes Bob,

No doubt about it, analog and digital audio are different beasts. Each
can be calibrated such that they are virtually neutral when cross
copying material between them. It's also fair to say that there are
identifiable differences between the two disciplines. These can be
manipulated intentionally, as you have done. Analog tape can function as
an extremely versatile audio processor, particularly as a high frequency
compressor and inter modulation and harmonic distortion generator.

Today, these effects are emulated digitally in software. Is it the same
as real tape compression? I want to say "not quite", but I'm pretty sure
that I could not pick out the differences in a double blind test.

Today's AM Broadcast transmitters are simply high powered D to A converters.
However, as you note, digital can't give you the sight, smell, feel and
warm glow of a vintage AM transmitter.

That's simply magic.

73, Mike, NM7X