Re: [TenTec] Older rigs

To: <wb5jnc@centurytel.net>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Older rigs
From: "Mike Hyder -N4NT-" <Mike_N4NT@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 23:53:23 -0400
Taught a novice class, one of members got ticket and her dad, a ham, sent
her a TS-930 transceiver. We helped her put up an aerial then sat down at
the rig to see how it worked. My best rig up til then was a 544 or 546,
don't remember. I was fascinated with all the bells & whistles available on
receive. Tuned into a crowded band and played with all the tuning controls.
With each adjustment, the rig sounded better and better. Finally I turned
off all that stuff to hear how the receiver sounded without all the finely
tuned filters, etc., and it sounded even better. Apparently it was the
change that sounded better and it didn't matter much what it was.

There was no setting on that TS-930 that sounded as good as my old Ten-Tecs.

73, Mike N4NT