Re: [TenTec] new amp

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] new amp
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 10:19:32 -0700
On 8/16/2012 9:57 AM, Scott Harwood wrote:
> I can see some folks wanting a smaller, lighter  QRP rig they can throw in a
> suitcase and take camping, trips, etc. yet have an excellent 100 watt rig at
> home.

That's really the idea here.  My neighbor has an Elecraft KX3 and loves
it. I understand why -- he throws it in a suitcase and sticks an antenna
out the window of his hotel room (when I can find one with a window that
opens, and it's one thing he looks for when booking the room).  A few
weeks ago, we took it to a mountaintop that we were scouting for a CQP
county expedition.  He stuck a 15 ft telescoping vertical on a compact
camera tripod, threw a piece of wire into the bushes and a counterpoise,
and in a few minutes we worked JA, PY, and K4 on 15M.  We were running
5w from the internal battery.

Sherwood just published test results for the KX3's receiver.  They come
in at the top of the ranking of ALL ham transceivers!  I have a KX3 on
loan, and put it on a spectrum analyzer to look at the cleanliness of
its transmitter while sending CW.  It is VERY clean, producing the
narrowest signal I've ever seen.

73, Jim Brown K9YC