Re: [TenTec] new amp

To: <k9yc@arrl.net>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] new amp
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 20:06:52 -0500
Jim is correct.     The $800 transceiver likely has a mediocre receiver at
best.  Of course many hams don't care and most really will never realize the
difference as price is the total objective.  After all, it's only a hobby!
.
On manufacturing, give me a million $1 dollar items to produce and I'll show
you a profit.  Give me single 1 million dollar item and I'd be lucky to
break even.  There is a point of cost vs. qty.  or qty vs. cost.  You
manufacturing folks certainly understand this.  You bean counters only look
at the bottom line.  Us engineers look at performance and quality and any
relationship to cost is really not too important.  And you marketing folks
wanted it yesterday for $0.50.   There are no winners in this circle.

I saw the proto last year at the hamfest.  I also saw the matching
transceiver.   Tentec has done their market research and decided that there
is a market for this amp and subsequent transceiver to follow.  The
engineering, the manufacturing and the certifications {a big one} all add to
the cost to produce and market this amp.

You want champagne........don't expect to pay Budweiser prices.  In other
terms, if you can't run with the big dogs, then best say under the porch.

73
Bob, K4TAX