Re: [TenTec] new amp

To: k9yc@arrl.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] new amp
From: Don Allen <w9cw@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 15:37:58 -0500
The vast majority of the MFJ family of products are manufactured in
Starkville at the respective MFJ & Vectronics, Ameritron, Cushcraft &
Hy-Gain, and Mirage facilities.  He also has a standalone metal shop and
OSHA-approved paint shop. To the best of my knowledge, the exceptions
are possibly all of the DC power supplies, the YouKit's-like QRP
transceivers, clocks, mobile antennas, and likely some other very minor
accessories.  But, all of the standard advertised fare such as antennas,
rotators and control boxes, antenna tuners (NOTE: The remote autotuners
specifically /may/ be sourced from CG in China, but I'm not sure),
antenna analyzers, and typical station accessories (keyers, DC power
outlets, audio filters, remote antenna switches, et. al.) are built in
Starkville.   The MFJ plant includes quite a large number of production
lines for through hole products and/or hand assembly products, as well
as pick and place machines for the SMT products.  I believe MFJ is the
2nd largest employer in the city and county behind Mississippi State
University.

I've known Martin for a long time, as he was a sonobuoy engineer at the
Magnavox Urbana, IL plant (defense R&D and manufacturing) back in the
late '60s prior to returning to Starkville to work on his Ph.D. at
Mississippi State University. I worked in the RF & Special Products
Department there at the time.  Next time I either see him, or talk to
him, I will ask him which specific products are manufactured off-shore.

73
Don W9CW