Re: [TenTec] Station power supply??

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Station power supply??
From: Don Allen <w9cw@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 10:31:33 -0500
This is a discussion that has been going on for a long time with Astron supplies, although a few other manufacturers have also been known to tie the negative output to chassis ground. As previously noted, repeater-builder.com sites an example with a repeater installation where the Astron supply with the negative line strapped to ground caused 60Hz hum on the repeater's output due to a ground loop. However, I have also read on other sites where the negative line should be strapped to case ground, whereas Jim, Tom, and others state firmly otherwise. Perhaps Astron used this "fix," as an easy out for a relatively poorly designed regulator circuit?? I'm sure the discussion will continue, as it has lasted ever since Astron made the running production change to their supplies.

73
Don W9CW