Re: [TenTec] Station power supply??

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Station power supply??
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 08:27:58 -0700
On 9/5/2012 5:08 AM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:
I've always found the station power supply should be the zero reference voltage point for the station. Hence the reason the negative should be connected at the power supply common ground point.

I did NOT discover this issue, W8JI did, and I set up a careful test to verify it in my station. Further, general practice for power supplies is for the negative terminal to NOT be connected to the chassis. If you open most power supplies, you will find that it is not, and the Astron's are specifically built so that the negative terminal CAN be bonded to the chassis, but that it is NOT.

It should also be noted that the "zero reference" in a radio system is NOT the power supply, it is the CHASSIS of the RADIO EQUIPMENT. That's not MY decision, it's dictated by the laws of physics -- that's where the signal source is, and that's where the receiver input is.

73, Jim K9YC