Re: [TenTec] OT: Question about TS-590 possible problem

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Question about TS-590 possible problem
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 00:07:15 +0200
Yes, unfortunately equipment dings are a part of team contesting.
My radios accumulated lots of dings and scuff marks over the years and the
only payback was great memories and a couple of certificates to hang on the
wall.

I recall the thread you started James, but that's not the specific case I
was thinking of.  There was another one.  Maybe it was in another forum and
not this one.

Your case there was very strange because an awful lot of expeditions run 12
elecrafts at the same time and don't have problems like that, as long as
they use BPFs.

Ten-Tec radios are clean, unless one happens to be defective.

It takes a lot of work to solve problems like that.
You basically have to rotate all rigs to all positions and receive and
transmit with them all in all positions.
Then you look for commonalities.
It's very time consuming.

I'm hoping these two rigs have old firmware because there was an update from
Kenwood which improved their performance in the presence of strong signals
outside of the bandpass of the roofing filters. I believe it was 1.07 if I
recall correctly.  That's probably just wishful thinking.

Another group of our guys all bought FT-950s two years ago and took them off
on a contest.  I believe they went to Morraco.  They were all pleased with
their radios at home on their own antennas but when they brought a bunch of
them together in the same location, they annihilated each other.  They all
sold their 950s as soon as they got home.  Not every radio that is good for
team contesting.

The thread I am thinking of was along those lines but with 590s.

Similar story with Flex radios.  Great as a stand-alone but they break down
if you use them at the same location as several other strong transmitters.
They're no radio to take to a Field Day, unless you are all by yourself.

I'm sure my friends will solve their problem, even if it means replacing the
590s with something else.

Thanks for the info.

73
Rick, DJ0IP