Re: [TenTec] OT: Question about TS-590 possible problem

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Question about TS-590 possible problem
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 17:20:24 +0200
James,  I DON'T HAVE THE PROBLEM.  One of my customers does, and he answers
his emails once per day.
My last email from him, yesterday, said he would bring in a K2 and TS-850
and try with those two rigs.
He didn't say when he would have time to do that.

I have found 3 concrete cases where the EXACT same problem has occurred.
One case on the East coast, you know the guy who at the FD site, measured
the TS-590 with an HP Spectrum Analyzer and proved it had broadband noise.
It was replaced by an OM7, using the same battery, same antenna, and same
frequency and the problem was gone.  The 590 was put back in and the problem
reappeared.  It's the TS-590 my friend.

But is it ALL 590's?
Probably not.
I have two concrete cases, one stateside FD site and one stateside well
known contester who ran multiple 590s without any problems.

What's going on?
One thing for certain, it is not the two baluns in the two Spiderbeams,
which the customer thought he would have to take down and rebuild!

ALL MY EXPERIENCE is what told me immediately it was the rig.  I have see
about a dozen rigs that cause this exact same problem.  Add the odd 590 to
the list.  It's Kenwood's damn problem to fix, not mine.  I dislike Kenwood
but was open to liking them again.  Seeing how they handle this one will
determine if they remain on or come off of my shit list! ;-)

73
Rick