Re: [TenTec] Model 238C Tuner Questions

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Model 238C Tuner Questions
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 21:27:03 +0100
It might or might not be a high impedance load for the tuner, depending on the length of the ladderline. For example, an 80m half-wave dipole used on 40m will have a feedpoint impedance of 4000 Ohms or so; feed that through an electrical quarter-wave (or odd multiple) of ladderline, and the tuner will see a load of about 40 Ohms. With careful choice of feedline length you can usually avoid impedances that are either outside its matching range, produce high losses, or create excessively high voltages.

After some tests on losses and current balance, I now feed my doublet/ladderline combination from my 238 tuner using an external 1:1 current balun rather than the internal 4:1 voltage balun.

Steve G3TXQ