Re: [TenTec] Model 238C Tuner Questions

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Model 238C Tuner Questions
From: "Robert Mcgraw" <rmcgraw@blomand.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 16:07:08 -0500 (CDT)
Most issues of power loss in a tuner is the result of IR loss being that
the network is operating with a very low Z load.  If my antenna is a 1/2
wave, resonant and fed in the center, the typical feed Z is about 30 to
50 ohms.  With a balanced feed, dump that into a 4:1 balun and the balun
input is now about 10 to 12 ohms.  Lots of current flowing at legal limit
power.  Hence a good deal of IR loss in the components or one must have
very large components.

The only issues I've had with very high antenna Z would be more likely of
voltage breakdown of components, flash over and such.  I've smoked a few
baluns which were on the output of a tuner.  In all cases, the antenna
load was quite high and all suffered voltage breakdown, subsequent smoke
and fire inside the box.  To that end, I now operate my tuner with a
balun on the input thus it, the balun, is always working at near 50 ohms
non-reactive.  Of course that requires a tuner other than the 230.  Your
charts on the various tuners is a wealth of information.

The old Johnson Matchbox is the "standard" to which most tuner designs
would like to attain.  In my case, the Johnson 250 Matchbox will put the
135 ft center balanced fed wire on any band, 80M - 10M and with excellent
match and very low loss.

73
Bob, K4TAX