Re: [TenTec] Orion display..time for replacement

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion display..time for replacement
From: Gene Story <gfstory@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 09:42:38 -0700
Hi Denton -
You mentioned you have 13.9 vdc "at power supply". If you have not already done this, please measure the voltage (with the radio turned on) at the back of the Orion. Been there, done this for other issues I first noticed visually on my display. Ideally, do this check inside the Orion but for starters, get on the pins on the back of the Orion. While it sounds like you may actually have an LCD or LCD related problem, I would definitely make sure your incoming power inside the radio is correct, even if you still have to work on the LCD problem.

Absolutely the best radio I have ever had, or used. But the back panel DC power connector could stand to be made from heavier duty mechanically and higher amperage-rated pins suitable to accept heavier gauge connecting wire. The pins and socket connectors used are capable for the task when in good condition. But these male and female pins are not terribly durable. While I have re-worked mine to make good contact, I expect the walls of pins and sockets to go soft again with some inevitable wire movement.

When I need to open up my Orion for it's next battery change or other purpose, I have decided to make a pigtail with heavy duty power cable that will exit the rear of the radio about 18 to 24 inches with individual inline heavy duty fuse holders and terminate into ANDERSON Power Pole connectors. I decided against mounting PP's to the rear of the radio, instead opting for a pigtail that allows for some flexibility in movement. PP housings are not that forgiving but not bad. I have considered other chassis mounted connectors but I think best results would be pigtailed PP's with locking clip to hold both halves together. Besides, beyond a suitable strain relief, pigtailing would not require modifying the rear panel. Plus PP's provide some level of standardization for connectivity between many ham stations, field locations, EOC use, etc. It could be neat if TEN- TEC would consider offering this type of EOC compatible option at a nominal fee when radios come in for service. Maybe even a production line change for new 566's.

Gene  /  K7TXO